Ken Paxton

Surviving an Economic Downturn

Step 1: I have an open child support case with the Office of the Attorney General (OAG).


If you have an open child support case with the OAG, your order might be eligible for a modification.

Child support orders can be modified if either of the following conditions is true:

  • It has been three or more years since the order was established or last modified and the monthly amount of the child support ordered differs by either 20 percent or $100 from the amount that would be awarded according to child support guidelines.
  • A material and substantial change in circumstances has occurred since the child support order was last set. Generally, this means that at least one of the following things has happened:
    • The other parent’s income has either increased or decreased.
    • The other parent is legally responsible for additional child(ren) since the last order.
    • Your child(ren)’s medical insurance coverage has changed.
    • Your child(ren)’s living arrangements have changed.

Go to Step 2 for more information about modifying your order.


If you do not have an open child support case and you want to apply for services from the OAG, complete the online application.

If you have questions about applying for services, visit the frequently asked questions page on our website for more information.