If your circumstances have changed, your order may be eligible for review and modification. Here’s what to expect when you request for a modification of your child support order.

Eligibility for a Payment Modification

Your child support order is eligible for modification only if one (or more) of the following is true:

  • The order was established/last modified more than three years ago.
  • The monthly amount of the child support order differs by either (a) 20% or (b) $100 from the amount that would be awarded, according to child support guidelines.


A material and substantial change in circumstances has occurred since the child support order was last set.

What is a "Material and Substantial Change in Circumstances"?

In relation to receiving a modification, this phrase applies to one of these situations:

  • The noncustodial parent's income has increased or decreased.
  • The noncustodial parent is legally responsible for additional children.
  • The child's (or children's) medical insurance coverage has changed.


The child (or children) are now living with a different parent.


How Do I Request a Review?

If you have an active/open child support case, you can submit an official Request for Review of your court-ordered amount.

You can click on this link to complete an online modification request, https://csapps.oag.texas.gov/form/csmodification.

Or download, complete, and mail the "Request for Review" form to the Child Support Division.

Download Request for Review (MS Word)

Send the completed form to:

Office of the Attorney General
Child Support Division
P.O. Box 12017
Austin, TX 78711-2017

How to Change a Child Support Order

There are only two ways a child support order can be changed:

  1. An in-office negotiation — known as the Child Support Review Process (CSRP).
  2. Court hearing

Informal agreements between parents do not change the court-ordered amount. That can be changed only by a court hearing or the CSRP.

How Long Before a Modification Takes Effect?

There is no typical timeframe for modification. We may need to gather additional information — from the other parent or other resources — to complete our formal review.

We'll work with both parents to schedule a Child Support Review Process (CSRP). Both parents must agree on the newly calculated child support amount and any other payment changes addressed. If an agreement cannot be reached, or if the case is ineligible for CSRP, the modification request will be considered in court.

Important: The cooperation of both parents will significantly speed up the process.

Could My Payment Amount Go Up If I Request a Modification?

Yes. It is possible that the amount of child support you are ordered to pay could go up.

Modifications are based on the noncustodial parent's current income. If you are making more money now than you were when the child support order was established or last modified, the court may increase the amount of child support you are ordered to pay.

Visit the Child Support Calculator. Enter your current income to estimate what your child support payment might be.