Ken Paxton

Information about Relocation and Rental Assistance for Landlords, and Rental Leasing Agents

The Crime Victims' Compensation Program (CVC) may provide victims of family violence and victims of sexual assault in their residence with funds to assist in paying for relocation costs such as moving expenses, utility deposits, and rent. The victim must file their CVC application within three years of the date of crime. The victim must also report the crime to law enforcement in a reasonable amount of time.

  • Victims of domestic or family violence occurring on or after 6/19/99 may qualify for rental and relocation assistance if the move was necessitated by the crime.
  • Victims of a sexual assault occurring in their residence on or after 9/1/01 may qualify for rental and relocation assistance if the move was necessitated by the crime.

Due to the nature of these crimes, the victim may require additional assistance in completing forms (such as the lease or utility waiver) from the landlord, property owner, or leasing agent. View our PDF for additional information regarding rental and relocation assistance.

If the property owner or landlord is receiving rental assistance for the victim from another source (such as government housing assistance), the property owner or landlord is obligated to disclose this information to CVC.

What does CVC cover for relocation rental assistance for victims?

CVC may provide assistance for a maximum of three months (up to $1800), the security deposit, and application fee directly to the victim. The victim is normally responsible for making the payments to the landlord or property owner.

The leasing agreement is a contract between the victim/tenant and lessee. CVC assumes no responsibility for the terms of the leasing contract. If problems arise, the parties should settle any disputes to include issues of payment in the usual and customary forum for addressing the issues between the two parties. CVC is not a guarantor of payments.

If the victim elects to have all or a portion of the allowable rental assistance and expense (up to three months rental, not to exceed $1800, security deposit, and application fee) sent directly to the landlord, a form entitled "Payment Affirmation" is required. This form is part of the relocation packet and must be completed by the victim and forwarded directly to CVC. The form contains the following information: Landlord contact information, Tax ID and/or Social Security number information, permission from the victim for direct payment to the landlord, application fee, and security deposit.

The completed packet of forms with signatures should be mailed to:

Crime Victim Services
P O Box 12198
Austin, Texas 78711-2198

If CVC makes payments directly to the landlords or property owners an IRS form 1099 for funds received from CVC will be mailed the following January.

What documentation does CVC need to pay for rental assistance?

CVC requires either a letter of intent on the provider's official letterhead, payment affirmation, or a complete, signed lease agreement to initiate the first payment portion for rent and relocation. CVC can assist the victim with relocation expenses in advance of the move based on the Relocation Worksheet and the letter of intent. Full relocation and rental expenses (up to $1,800 or three months rent whichever is less) may be paid when relocation receipts and a signed leasing agreement are submitted after the move.

If you have any rental assistance questions, please call the CVC program at 800-983-9933 or contact us at Although the CVC Program cannot discuss the details of the victim's situation for confidentiality reasons, the CVC program can discuss how the process works. Having the victim's claim number, name, and date of birth will help us to direct your call.