When you're concerned about the care you or a loved one receives at a Texas hospital or medical-care facility, here's what you need to know.

If You Have a Complaint

  1. If you want to file a complaint with the state about a hospital or medical facility in Texas, consider hiring an attorney. An attorney can help you figure out the best course of action to have your complaint handled properly.
  2. File a complaint with the Health Facility Compliance Unit at the Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC). This is the agency ensuring that hospitals and health facilities are providing safe, responsible care. HHSC will also investigate claims of improper hospital billing. You can also contact HHSC by calling 1-800-458-9858.

Nursing Home Complaints

The state agency that oversees nursing homes is the Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC). HHSC can also investigate alleged violations of state and federal nursing home standards.

If a nursing home raises concerns, HHSC may refer the case to the Office of the Attorney General. We investigate and address these violations.

Pharmacy Complaints

If you have a concern about a pharmacy's practices, including deceptive billing, contact the Texas State Board of Pharmacy. If your concern relates to customer service or other pricing concerns, file a complaint with our office.  

Correctional Health Facilities

If you're concerned about the health care being provided to an inmate in Texas, file a complaint with the Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ).