Texas is often cited as the state with the second highest number of human trafficking incidents and victims. The number of victims and incidents is taken from several different data sources, but none are complete. Without accurate data on the number of human trafficking incidents, victims, and offenders in the state, Texas cannot efficiently dedicate resources to anti-trafficking efforts. We can only address challenges if we know what we are facing. To better understand the magnitude of human trafficking in Texas, the Texas Legislature added a Human Trafficking Reporting Requirement under Article 2.305 of the Code of Criminal Procedure to facilitate the collection of state-wide data regarding human trafficking.
Article 2.305 Code of Criminal Procedure
Article 2.305 requires the Department of Public Safety and municipal police departments, sheriff's departments, constable's offices, county attorney's offices, district attorney's offices, and criminal district attorney's offices in counties with a population of 50,000 or more to report data on human trafficking investigations and prosecutions to the Office of the Attorney General.
Pursuant to Article 2.305, law enforcement entities and prosecutors must submit a separate report for each alleged offense and provide the following information:
- the offense that was being investigated or prosecuted and a brief description of the alleged prohibited conduct;
- the age, gender, and race or ethnicity of each suspect and victim and the case number associated with that suspect;
- the date, time, and location of the alleged offense;
- the type of human trafficking involved;
- other related prosecution charges;
- information regarding any victims' service organization or program to which the victim was referred, if available; and
- the disposition of the investigation or prosecution, regardless of its manner.
To report the required human trafficking data and remain in compliance with Article 2.305:
Fill out the form below for each separate trafficking-related offense and email the completed form(s) to [email protected].