Ken Paxton
Fighting identity theft banner

Step 2 - Report Identity Theft Crime to Your Local Law Enforcement Agency

  1. Report the crime to your local law enforcement agency.
  2. Ask for a copy of the police report and case number.

Most creditors require you to provide a police report when you contest fraudulent charges. Therefore, you must report the crime to your local police or sheriff's department and obtain a copy of the corresponding police report. Even if you do not know who used your information or if your information was used in another state, you can file a complaint with local law enforcement.

Under Chapter 32.51 of the Penal Code, the venue for reporting identity crime is the city or county of residence of the person whose identity was stolen or any county in which an offense was committed. The Texas Identity Theft Enforcement and Protection Act requires peace officers to create a written report and provide a copy of it whenever a person living in their jurisdiction alleges being a victim of identity crime.

Be prepared. Some police departments have special complaint forms to report identity theft. These forms can be obtained online or through the departments' offices. Others will take complaints by phone. Be prepared to tell and show the investigator why you believe you are a victim of identity theft. The more evidence you can give your assigned investigator, the more readily he or she can create a police report for you. Make sure that you ask for a copy of the report. Texas law provides that you are entitled to a copy of it, provided you request it.

Remember to keep the original police report in your files and make extra copies so that you can send them to creditors who request it. Also, remember that an identity theft victim who has a police report can request and lift a security freeze for free, so having this report will save you money.