Ken Paxton

Right-to-Work Laws in Texas

Texas is a right-to-work state. This means that under the Texas Labor Code, a person cannot be denied employment because of membership or non-membership in a labor union or other labor organization. Tex. Labor Code Ann. §§ 101.001, et al.

Texas laws protect employees from threats, force, intimidation, or coercion for choosing to either participate or not participate in a union. In other words, the choice of whether to join a labor union is yours; you may not be required to join or pay dues to a union as a condition of employment, nor may you be denied employment because you have joined a union.

If your employer has entered into a collective bargaining agreement with a union which requires employees to make payments to, or on behalf of, a labor union under the agreement as a condition of employment, (often referred to as a "union security clause"), your employer may be in violation of Texas right-to-work laws. If you do not wish to participate in union membership or contributions, but feel that you are required to do so, or that you will be disciplined or lose your job if you do not comply, you can report the situation under Texas right-to-work laws by contacting the OAG.

Please understand that this office is prohibited by law from providing legal counsel or representation to private individuals. We cannot answer questions about the law or interpret the law for private individuals. Any action taken by this agency would be on behalf of the State of Texas and Texas right-to-work laws.

Be aware that Texas laws will not apply if your work site is on a federal enclave. Not all federal facilities are federal enclaves. If you are making contributions to a union because of a union security clause, contact us and we will review the status of your employer to determine if your rights are being violated.

This notice is in no way intended to abridge or override the authority of federal agencies in the regulation of other labor disputes not under Texas jurisdiction. You may also wish to contact the Texas Workforce Commission, the National Labor Relations Board, the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and/or the Federal Department of Labor with other employment concerns.

The Texas Workforce Commission, Civil Rights Division has the authority to investigate and resolve complaints of employment discrimination and sexual harassment by private and public employers with at least 15 employees, as well as by state agencies, colleges and universities, employment agencies, and labor organizations. To determine what assistance may be available, you can contact the Commission at:

Texas Workforce Commission
Civil Rights Division
101 East 15th Street, Room 144T
Austin, TX 78778-0001
(512) 463-2642
(888) 452-4778

The National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) is an independent federal agency that enforces the National Labor Relations Act and investigates and remedies unfair labor practices by employers and unions. The NLRB can be reached at:

National Labor Relations Board
819 Taylor Drive, Room 8A24
Ft. Worth, TX 76102-6178
(817) 978-2921

The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) enforces Federal laws prohibiting job discrimination such as Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin. The EEOC also enforces the Equal Pay Act of 1963, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, Title I and Title V of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the Civil Rights Act of 1991, and Sections 501 and 505 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, which prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals with disabilities who work in the federal government. They also accept complaints involving sexual harassment. For more information and to file a complaint, you can contact the EEOC as follows:

U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
1919 Smith Street, 7th Floor
Houston, TX 77002
(800) 669-4000

The United States Department of Labor (DOL), Wage and Hour Division, enforces the minimum wage, overtime pay and recordkeeping provisions of the federal Fair Labor Standards Act. The division also administers and enforces the Family and Medical Leave Act for all private, state and local government employees, and some federal employees. You may wish to contact that office at:

United States Department of Labor
Wage and Hour Division
A. Maceo Smith Federal Building
525 South Griffin Street, Room 507
Dallas, TX 75202
(972) 850-2600

The DOL Employee Benefits Security Administration (EBSA) protects the integrity of pensions, health plans, and other employee benefits. The EBSA can be contacted as follows:

Department of Labor
Employee Benefits Security Administration
Federal Building, Room 707
525 South Griffin Street
Dallas, TX 75202-5025
(214) 767-6831
(866) 444-3272